Asbestos Awareness (VTQ) – 3-hour session
March 2, 2023 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Asbestos Awareness (VTQ)
Asbestos is a danger in many different sectors and it is estimated that 20 tradesmen, 4 plumbers, 6 electricians and 8 joiners die every week from this hidden killer. It is important to know when there may be a risk of exposure and how to avoid coming into contact with Asbestos.
Asbestos was extensively used as a building material in the UK from the 1950s to the mid-1980s. It was used for a variety of purposes and was ideal for fireproofing and insulation. Any building built before 2000 can obtain asbestos and they can be homes, schools, offices or hospitals. Asbestos materials in good condition are safe unless asbestos fibres become airborne, which happens when materials are damaged.
This course covers the risk, why we need to avoid exposure and what can happen with exposure or when you are exposed, as well as what to do if you come across possible Asbestos to ensure you and your work colleagues are kept safe. The certificate is valid for 3 years. To comply with the HSE recommendations it is advised to complete a refresher every year.
The content of this and all our courses has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines and come with a Certified CPD
Occupations That Use This Course
- Building contractors
Also for people who carry out the following their job:
- Drilling holes in asbestos materials (including for sampling and analysis purposes)
- Laying cables in areas containing undamaged asbestos materials
- Removing asbestos-containing floor tiles
- Cleaning or repairing asbestos cement sheet roofing or cladding.
- What is asbestos
- What is asbestos
- History of asbestos
- The 2 groups of asbestos
- The three common forms of asbestos
- So what’s so good about asbestos
- Who is at risk of asbestos
- Health Effects of Asbestos
- So what’s the problem with asbestos
- Asbestos-related Diseases
- Pleural Plaques and Pleural Thickening
- Lung Cancer